Friday, September 28, 2012

Failure

Failure - should never be an option
When it happens however, you just have to deal with it. Such is the case with therapy and me today. My therapist cannot recommend ongoing therapy for two reasons. First changes in Medicare limit the number of annual sessions and I have exceeded mine, and two, she has to prove that I made significant gains with therapy over the last two months. Unfortunately, I have not made these gains. I agree with her assessment as does Bob. It is simply too expensive to do therapy for so long and not apply it at home.
Let me to explain. Since July I have participated in physical therapy twice weekly at St. David’s rehab in Austin. My PT, Casey has been great, very challenging. She was able to get me walking regularly without my cane, both inside and outside. Walk on the treadmill without holding on to the bar, ride a recumbent bicycle outside, and teach me what it feels like to truly weight shift on the left. I have to say, it is the most unnatural feeling to weight shift to the left before I move my right foot forward. It is supposed to feel like I’m falling to the left. Bob’s theory is that I don’t see my left side; therefore, I don’t know what’s over there.
When I fail, I realize I have two courses of action. One is to “take my toys and go home.” Or two, get mad and show Casey that this is simply a break and she should take me back in January. I choose #2 that I can do this and perhaps I just needed a break to get my mind right. With Bob’s coaching and lots of practice, I believe I can be ready.
I’m going to prove that this setback is temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment