Wednesday, September 5, 2012

test Adventure


After 30 years of marriage it’s difficult to find new and fun adventures.  It’s particularly challenging due to my stroke, this past week Bob shattered any barriers we had to try something new.  Do I have your attention?
Two weeks ago Bob left Austin to attend the Burning Man festival in the desert.  He and other team members helped a Houston artist assemble a huge sculpture.

I elected to meet Bob on the back end of his trip so I could hear the burning man stories. Bob rented a 40-ft. RV that could pull a 3, 000 lb. trailer.  I flew to Vegas on Wednesday to meet Bob. We spent the next four days living in the RV while we headed back to Austin. This included many first such as camping in RV Parks, eating freeze dried meals, walking halfway across the Pat Tillman bridge, visiting three national monuments/parks in one day (Anasazi ruins, Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest).


We spent the night in Kingman, Arizona, Gallup and Las Cruces New Mexico. The last night Bob grilled venison sausage and vegetables.  We had a feast while viewing the blue moon. I probably couldn’t convince camping purists that sleeping in a RV is camping but it’s as close as I want to get.   We didn’t have unlimited running water, AC, and other conveniences and I gauge the fact that I didn’t shower for four days that I was “roughing” it. I was enthralled the whole time driving 1300 miles. Mainly, I was blown away by Bob’s preparation for the trip. He cleaned the RV of dust from Burning Man prior to meeting me in Vegas, grocery shopped, and planned four nights of meals. What I learned about myself during this trip was at times it was very hard to travel this way.  Just getting in and out of the RV was terrifying I have to push myself every day if want to have new adventures.

1 comment:

  1. RV parks are a whole 'nother part of AMerica I had no idea about, until we bought our Airstream Basecamp and started staying at them. I'd say you were reasonably roughing it - and goodness, you had a packed itinerary! Bob's the MAN!

    ReplyDelete