Saturday, April 7, 2012

You CAN get there from here

On Thursday morning I was preparing for my sister-in law, Elizabeth’s visit by tidying up our outside patio area.  Before Bob left for work he set up the shop vac so I could vacuum the oak flowers that blanket the patio. I put my wheelchair outside and have to vacuum while rolling around in my wheelchair.   After two hours of vacuuming, I decide to try and get some of the leaves in the flower beds.  To do this I need to change the hose attachment.  It is on pretty tight and a challenge one-handed so I put the hose between my legs and try to push apart the attachment from the hose.  In doing so at one point I pushed too hard my chair back wheel rolled off the sidewalk.  I am now stuck and cannot get the chair back on even ground. The more I try, the more I’m digging into the dirt in the blower bed.  It’s like a flat tire spinning in the mud and just digging a deeper trench. My mind is racing trying to determine my options Do I wait 1.5 hours for Elizabeth to show up?  Do I wait 5 hours for Bob to get home at 4?  What if I have to go to the bathroom? What if Elizabeth calls and I can’t get to my cell phone.  What do I do?  Then it suddenly hit me.  I can freakin’ walk?  Just get up!  So I did and pulled the wheel chair out of the ditch.  A hospital memory came to mind that I really didn’t know I had a stroke until I tried to walk and couldn’t.  I my mind I could walk but if I tried I would fall.  This experience was almost the opposite I could walk but didn’t know it for a minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment