Sunday, April 1, 2012

aPRIL TRAVELS BRING . . .

The next 45 days I have 2 possibly 3 trips planned
The first trip is going to Kansas City for some much needed rehab with my friend and physical therapist, Tracy.  Bob’s sister and I are driving to Kansas City next weekend and after Easter I will have 4 days of 5 – 6 hours per day “boot-camp”.  Tracy runs a facility for stroke survivors where Bob’s sister also volunteers In my home I exercise every day:   I ride the  stationary bike, lift weights, and use a pulley,to exercise my left arm. I am in a comfort zone here. The facility in Kansas City knocks me out of my comfort zone by exercising my left arm using a machine that stretches my arm.  In the past, I can  hardly do the motion without pain. Wewalk on a treadmill to better simulate walking.  Both of these exercises are difficult for me and frankly uncomfortable In fact, while on the treadmill, I can barely put one foot in front of the other.  It is very humbling and frustrating for me but I am determined this trip to try and conquer my fearsand master the walking.
Think about it this way; after an earthquake the comment is often hear “I could no longer trust the ground beneath my feet”. I have this feeling every day. Because I cannot feel my leg I have to watch each foot placement. My peripheral vision is damaged so I see half the world in front of me and little just below the normal vision plane. Any unfamiliar terrain is a new challenge. Going to KC is an opportunity to work on uncomfortable ground.
The second trip is to be with a friend in Calistoga who just had a radical mastectomy. A mutual friend has a home in Calistoga and wants to treat herto some R&R before her chemotherapy starts.   I thought this was a beautiful gesture and honored to be asked to be a part of it.
The third trip is a sister’s reunion in Las Vegas.  Last Christmas my baby sister, Theresa, commented on how nice it might be if the six of us could take a trip together in 2012. Bob came up with the idea of Las Vegas because it's fairly central and sisters will come from Veromont, Kansas, Maryland and Texas  and because my sister, Susie has a big, beautiful home where we could all stay together We have dinner, show, and gambling plans but mainly just want to hang out and get to know each other again. My sisters were extraordinarily helpful during my seven month stay in the hospital after the stroke and subsequent rehab at home.  On the 6 year anniversary of the stroke, it will be nice to be with my sissies in some place other than a hospital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment