Monday, April 30, 2012

restoring order

I just returned from Kansas City and staying with my sister and brother-in law.    It was a follow-up appointment to pick up my leg brace that I was measured for last week.  Elizabeth thought I needed at least 2 days to get the brace, wear it, and get reviewed by a physical therapist. She was absolutely correct. It took 4 trips to the orthotist to make all the necessary tweaks. Once again I was humbled by Tracy, the physical therapist.  She tries to fine tune my walking, teach me how to get up off the floor in the event that I fall and work my left arm since I tend to ignore it.  I give myself a D+ for the work I did with Tracy.  I have a major mental block when it comes to trusting my left leg and putting all my weight on it.  This is particularly important when it comes to stepping up on curbs. I have to be able to put all my weight on the left leg. It is absolutely imperative that I learn to do this.  For example,   if I want to be able to step up on curbs unassisted, here is the process:  I lift my right leg up onto the curb and follow with my left.  It’s something that comes very natural to most folks.  For me, after I place my right foot up, I get nervous, paralyzed and can’t move my left foot up  I literally freeze, become paralyzed. I think it is my fear of falling And the many stitches from previous falls.   It is so strange because there are three people ready to catch me if I fall in this safe environment.  It’s a total mental thing.  It is very frustrating because if I would just put all the weight in my left leg, rely on my cane for balance, I could totally walk more normal.  I am open for suggestions on how to accomplish this  The good news is my new blue snake skin brace fits great and is pretty cool – Hello summer dresses and shorts!
As always, I had a wonderful time at my sister-in-law's, chez Johnson.  She and her husband give me the red carpet treatment they wait on me so much that it becomes a problem when I return home.  Restoring order can be a tall order. But someone has to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment