Saturday, September 26, 2015

overcoming the fear of walking

As of today, Saturday, I have overcome my walking issue.  I didn’t really change anything with my walking so I guess in hindsight it was psychological.  Bob was right, as usual.
What happened? Or how did I fix it? I think it was a combination of Matocha determination/stubbornness and family support (more on this later).
I recently watched the documentary, “The Masters” on PBS. Aimee Mullins was quoted.  She is a double amputee athlete and she expressed my sentiment perfectly:  “Of course I have moments of self-doubt.  I just don’t allow myself to stay there.”  One of my sisters is a social worker in Vermont and upon analysis of my challenge she walked me through tools to overcome the fear.
The bottom line is my walking issue occurs because of a fear of falling.  Fear is very real and she explained how my brain works in response to fear and gave me relaxation/mindfulness tools when the challenge reoccurs. If I have another scare, I have three choices, fight, run, or freeze.  Since I can’t run, that leaves me with two choices. Last week I was freezing and now I know what to do thanks to my sister. Walk on…..

No comments:

Post a Comment