Thursday, June 5, 2014

not possible while in Austin

My steps towards independence include being able to take public transportation so I don’t have to rely on caregivers 100 percent to go somewhere. To that end, today we walked to the rail station using my new walker (it was about a 15-minute walk. We bought rail tickets for $1.25 and jumped on the train. The entry to the rail is a flat surface so the walker rolled right through the door, fortunately before the door closes. There is ample time to get through the door, but once on the train, there is an immediate jolt that almost knocked me down.  I have to either immediately sit down or hang onto something right away. A gentlemen already on the train gave me his seat both directions while riding. We rode the train for about ten minutes and 5 stops to downtown Houston. My goal was to find the closest pub or restaurant using public transportation for Bob and me. I met my goal; from out the front door of the condo and back the entire trip took less than an hour.  Breaking up the trip with draft beer in between seems like nirvana to me.
The next step is can I do this same thing without a caregiver walking next to me.  Always have to have a goal, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment