Wednesday, June 4, 2014

endings and beginnings

I have not written a blog in a while.  Frankly, I have not been motivated since my Mother died. However, just as life goes on after death and my life continued after my stroke, my blog will survive primarily to serve its original purpose – to help stroke survivors.  Since my last blog entry, I have surpassed eight years as a stroke survivor. Another milestone is three months as a Houstonian and Independent living.
Considering where I was 8 years ago I am proud of my accomplishments, yet I am frustrated about the progress that I still need to make. I’ve had so much support and good fortune that I don’t want to let anyone down.  My Mother continued to contribute everyday of her life and she remains an inspiration to keep fighting for recovery.  Moving to Houston provides the opportunity to look forward -- everything is new.
I now have the ability to walk to museums and use the public transportation system; I am making new friends and have new caregivers.  I’m able to participate in family events and make weekly visits to my father and sister. I have interesting and challenging volunteer work that is the closest thing to a real job. 
Now I need to focus on next steps with rehabilitation and volunteering.  Lots of walking is in order along with left arm movement. My goal is to parlay my volunteer work into a grant-funded paying position.   If you have any suggestions send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment