Sunday, July 21, 2013

A right to make ones own decisions

This past week, Bob forwarded an article from the New York Times:  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/magazine/a-life-or-death-situation.html?pa&_r=0
 It’s a story about Brook and Peggy.  Brook had a bicycle accident that left him paralyzed from the shoulder down.  He requires 24-hour care and currently has 12 caregivers.  My friend Sandra says: “The article will put you through “emotional exercises.”  They struggle with keeping Brook alive vs. his right to die if he chooses.
It elicited a flurry of activity from our family, so much so that I consumed half a day reading and responding to emails about it.  The comments ranged from profound to poetic to highly insightful. I was asked what I thought and I do think I’m uniquely qualified to have an opinion.  I dislike being dependent on anyone.  I also dislike losing my identity; translation, no career goals. Prior to the stroke I had a wonderful career: managed ~28 people, a $50M budget, worldwide responsibility and on an executive career path.  As my very wise sister-in-law pointed out: “A woman has to reinvent herself every seven years.  It is yet again time for me to redefine myself and who I am.  I think we need to view this as opportunity to change, grow, and move forward to another stage. “ I struggle to figure out my next stage and new identity.
 I could devote an entire blog to my mother. I wish I were a tenth the woman she is.  She raised seven kids (all with advanced degrees except me), while working full-time as an ICU nurse.  Upon retirement, she reinvented herself – she became a craft person extraordinaire – quilting, Brazilian embroidery, and other crafts.  she continues to quilt once a week with a Ladies’ guild. Yesterday she renewed her driver’s license. She is 93.

No comments:

Post a Comment