Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gabby and me

Gabby and me

I’ve received suggestions from family that I should blog about the similarities between Gabby Giffords and me.
We both had brain attacks; mine from the inside and hers from the outside
We both had bone flaps removed and replaced to stop the swelling in our brain.   She got a composite replacement; mine was the original. We both conducted our rehab and surgeries at TIRR and Memorial Hermann in Houston, Texas.  We both have spouses as caregivers and caregivers who travel; although her caregiver travels millions of miles further than mine.  We are both too young for this to happen. So concludes the similarities.  Some lessons learned that I would love to share with Gabby and her husband, given the opportunity:
The brain can recover
You can be a fully functional individual again
You will still love the things you loved
Never give up…the harder the work the better it gets
It is a hard (expletive deleted) trip, but it’s worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment