Friday, June 3, 2011

clinical trial participant

The National Institutes of Health is in need of a Lab Rat…
So I am off to DC on Sunday for two weeks of clinical trials. Last February I was selected for a study using magnetoencephalography (MEG) to see if brainwaves could move my left hand. They needed stroke survivors with complete paresis on one side. Who better than me? They put a helmet full of electrodes on my head that captured brainwaves. The brainwaves were then analyzed and sent to electrodes on my left hand. By thinking “move left hand” I was able to see my hand move. The study is obviously around devices to either replace or support the use of limbs the brain is no longer connected to. It was a fascinating week the first time. They didn’t invite me back due to concern about the titanium holding my scalp in place blocking the sensors. I guess they got over it.
The call came in two days ago and I have managed to organize my life for the next three weeks around going to DC. And there is a thrill in doing this organizing. The prospect of being a clinical trial subject is fun but the process to get there, be on my own, stay by myself and do daily tasks is even more inviting. My sister Marty is close by so Bob won’t get too wound up and public transportation will get me around – and of course there is always applying a few bucks for a cab if I get lost. The guys at the hotel – Timmy and Johnny – were always right there to help me and I’m staying at the same place. Still, quite an adventure.
I will report from the road.


1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Anita! DC is special especially with your adventure at hand - many blessings dear one!

    Love,

    patita

    ReplyDelete