Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Adaptation


Webster defines adaptation as “the process of adapting:  the state of being adapted; adjustment to environmental conditions”
Adaptation is what I do to lead a productive life and enjoy the things I did pre-stroke.  For example most of my adaptation stems from having to deal in a one-arm world with an immobile left arm (I was a lefty prior to the stroke). So to cook, exercise, read, etc. I need tools that allow me to perform with this limitation.  
For example, try to make a key lime pie with one hand! Just separating four eggs with only a functioning non-dominate hand is daunting.  After having a stroke, you slowly realize that some of the things you’ve done before, you can no longer do. You have two choices: 1) Don’t do it. 2) Find the tools you need to make it work.
One night while visiting my sister in Las Vegas, I had a bout of insomnia and found myself watching infomercials. At 4 a.m. one caught my eye, the Egg Yolky egg separation tool. I realized that this tool could be a breakthrough in allowing me to cook again and solve my key lime pie problem!
Meet Egg Yolky.
Click here for more details on Egg Yolky

I have learned to use many other devices to help me overcome a one-armed world. More posts will be forthcoming to share my secrets.
My husband, Bob,  has started a blog in connection with this one:  Caregiver Bobby.  His blog can be found on the left sidebar titled “Bob Bacon’s Caregiver Survival Guide” and covers practical tips for caregivers.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to tell you that I think it is AWESOME that the two of you are writing blogs. You have no idea how many people you will help and impact by sharing your stories. Last week I gave a talk at Plano High on the dangers of drinking and driving/Brittany's story. While it was hard, I knew it had to be done because you never know what good could come out of it. You both are truly an inspiration for taking a bad situation and turning it into something positive.

    -Caitlin Mitchell (Mike Mitchell's daughter)

    PS. Miss you both and I LOVE key lime pie, I am happy you found a way to make it work.

    ReplyDelete