Thursday, November 21, 2013

Romance


I don’t often speak about Bob and my relationship.   I tend to focus and write about his role as my caregiver.

What I crave and nag him about is romance.

After 30 years of marriage and 7 years of post-stroke it’s difficult to “conjure up” romance.

But, I digress

 Last weekend I went to New York to be with 3 of my sisters and see my niece Angela perform the lead role in the play “streetcar Named Desire, “I was anxious to see if I had the stamina to travel like this and have it be a template for future travel.  We spent 3 hours at the Guggenheim museum and visited the new 9/11 Memorial. Our first trip to the memorial was just after it happened and now I went back to see how they honored the victims.   My niece was exquisite in the role of Blanche.  I sat through her 3 hour performance thinking I believe she could be a star one day.  Learned I can do things like this and the lesson is to get out of your comfort zone if you can. 

 

Upon returning to Texas, I stopped in Houston.  As I was wheeled out to the terminal, there was a man on my left who said to the wheelchair attendant:  “I’ll give you $10 bucks so I can take that girl for a beer.  He said: “ Well, Who are you?”  “I’m her husband,” says Bob.  He surprised me and came to be with me during my two 2-hour layover in Houston that turned into a 4 hour layover.   If you travel, you know it’s almost impossible to get through security without a ticket, but Bob found a way.  Now that’s what I call romance; Not, jewelry, gifts or nice dinners but finding ways to be together.  It was a perfect end to a perfect trip.  Thank you Bob.  The picture below captures my glee upon seeing Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment