Friday, June 14, 2013

in honor of

Bob and I just lost an incredible friend in a helicopter crash.  Joey was one of the most unique and special people anyone could ever meet. I want to share some thoughts about what it was like to have had the honor of knowing him as a person: 
Joey was initially a business associate/colleague of Bob’s brother, who over time became a good friend to me and Bob.    Very soon after my stroke he flew to Houston to comfort Bob.  In fact, when I was in pretty bad shape he told Bob candidly "She's not going to make it”.  He could sense I was giving up.  I think this candor was healthy and helpful to Bob and the behavior of a good friend. Joey defined friendship, he defined family.  I have never observed anyone more devoted to his family than Joey.  He could be at a party,  with 50 +friends and the minute his family arrived it was as if no one else was in the room.  He embraced them instantly - from his 2 grown children to his baby.  You had to be a little careful what you said around Joey, because he was the type of man who made dreams come true or brought dreams to life.  For example, I expressed a casual interest in learning Spanish. Within 3 months I was living on his ranch in Mexico immersed in Spanish lessons and practicing daily with a Mexican family. He saw to my every need during my 3-week stay here.
His generosity knew no bounds. After my stroke he insisted I come to the Feria in Queretaro.  And this trip would include attending a bullfight.  He knew I would have difficulty navigating the bullfight arena so he modified the bull ring stadium - just for me.  I was astounded.  Our favorite Joey phrase is "We’re going to have a lot of fun” He would say:  “Let’s go to Spain to the bull  fight or let’s go out on my boat”, etc.  Joey would say these things and then actually make them happen and you always, always did - have a lot of fun.
On a couple of visits to Queretaro, we included our friends and Joey embraced them as if they were his own friends.  His impact on our friends is legendary.


Joey loved Bob which made me love him even more. I remember he told Tom once that "Bob is the fun brother."
Joey smoked, drank, laughed, ate, loved, worked, traveled, entertained, partied,  and basically did anything he wanted to do for his 55 years.  I personally think he was happiest when he was surrounded by his family (and this would have to include at least one beautiful woman) and in Joey's case this was his wife, Alma.
As we go on in this world without Joey, we are going to live by his mantra:  "We will have a lot of fun. If we don’t, there no point in doing it.”  I honor you, Joey for the richness, (not riches) you brought to our lives.  I miss you already and wish we could have spent more time together.  You will be in our hearts and minds forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment