Wednesday, April 3, 2013

home alone

A few years ago I suggested to Bob that I try living on my own for several reasons, the primary being free Bob from being a caregiver fulltime.  (At that time I required quite a bit of assistance.) It was a difficult time because I was totally convinced I could live on my own.  My stubbornness was unwavering. Bob, as my caregiver knew I was not ready.    One fall in the shower and that would be the end.  Ultimately, we jointly concluded that I was not ready.
Fast forward 3 years I am now living on my own due to Bob’s new job requiring him to be out of town all week.  The purpose of this blog is to share the pros and cons of living alone and is it all I was hoping it would be. 
Pros:  I am totally independent this will help me in the future if I did have my own place or if I have to go live with a relative.
I love not being told what to do and figuring it out for myself. For example, I have to plan a lot more and coordinate with my assistants/drivers in a more efficient manner
I have to run our household, coordinate with all contractors, realtors, etc.
Keep the house “potential buyer ready” at all times
I have to coordinate my entertainment/social so I don’t allow myself to get bored
Work through possible issues without always relying on Bob.  For example today, I knew we were going to have a thunderstorm so I prepared in the event of a power outage. 
The bottom line is I typically rely on Bob for everything and that’s not fair to either of us.  This “forced “independence will only help me in the future.  The trick is when Bob is home not to fall back to old habits.
The cons include:
I miss my pal, Bob, during the week, particularly around the dinner hour because he is such a good companion. 
I watch too much TV/movies
When I do go out, My hair never looks as good as when Bob is here and gives me a hand with the styling.
It is always, always more fun when Bob is around.
I have to rely on my neighbors more than usual

I comfortably conclude that independent living exceeds my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment