Thursday, March 7, 2013

be careful out there

Bob started his new job in Houston on Monday so I rely on my neighbor to help me get on my trike in the evenings. On Monday, I set out for a 10-mile ride.    I stressed the brake system on a big hill that resulted in an issue later during my ride.   (While tackling a big hill, I was four gears away from the easiest or granny gear and had to rely on the brakes quite a bit).  While returning, I rode by a tennis court and my reflector light fell off.  I was going back to retrieve it and while turning around and going downhill, my brakes failed.  I had to circle the cars at the tennis court twice since I had no way to stop.  On the third go round, I ran off the road on the right and into a small bush to stop the trike.  The whole time I was circling I was yelling: “HELP.” A couple playing tennis helped me retrieve my light, turned me around, and fixed my brake.  When I relayed the story to Bob, he asked if I explained that I couldn’t walk, etc.  I find  it interesting that I’m reminded of the stroke every time I take a step, but when this happened it nevereven occurred to me to explain to this couple that I had a stroke and couldn’t turn the trike around on my own.
These challenges strengthen my resolve to continue to exercise and keep my mind alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment