Wednesday, February 6, 2013

reslution update

In January I resolved to stay out of my wheelchair as much as possible.  My report card after 36 days into 2013 is average at best, the first 10 days in January I stayed out of my wheelchair as planned. I had the soreness and fatigue to prove it.  Slowly I fell back into my old habits, but now I am back on track.  When I walk at home, I always try to have the cane up in the air to work towards weaning myself totally from the cane – another resolution. 
I was totally inspired by Senator Mark Kirk and his walk up the Capitol steps on January 3 after his stroke in 2012. His quote in the Washington Post says it best:   “I regarded my left leg as a lifeless appendage”. Mike kept insisting that it would bear weight.   The moment I realized that it would and that I could swing it from my hip and propel myself forward, was the breakthrough revelation of my rehabilitation. If I could just trust my left leg, my world would be  right side up again.  
Senator Kirk also said:  “I wanted to give up almost every day. I was indescribably fatigued. I wanted to sleep all the time, a common desire in stroke sufferers. But I was beginning to believe. I used the prospect of returning to work, of climbing up the steps of the Capitol and walking the 50 paces to the Senate floor, as motivation.”  I too have a left leg and arm that I don’t trust. I also have days of giving up. I can’t give up or sleep all day because Sgt Major Bob won’t let me.  My motivation is the confidence of my family and the future of running Bob’s sculpture gallery in Houston in a year. Never, never, never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment