Monday, December 17, 2012

Winter Solstice


 I mentioned in my last blog, that it was essential for me to get back on the bike as soon as possible after my accident. I simply cannot let accidents set me back.   Because I had to return the loaner to St David’s, we bought a new bike or rather a trike.  The twenty year advances in technology from my borrowed St. David’s trike to my new one, Catrike, are astonishing. It is leagues ahead in seating, configuration, pedaling, steering and shifting, It is compact, comfortable and a beautiful lava red. It has disc brakes, the equivalent of 27 gear choices, tighter steering, etc. These advancements allowed me to shave two minutes off my loop time today.  Currently because of my accident, Bob will only let me ride close to home. Bob requires that I wear a helmet since as he says:  “I’m traveling with no spare, remember.”


Ultimately, I will travel farther and farther and this will become my freedom machine.  I won’t have to take a caregiver whenever I leave the house.  I have visited the neighbors for the first time since our cul-de-sac party four years ago.   I stay out as long as I want.  Unsolicited, the neighbors all commented on the lighted metal palm and how much they like it.  We call it our winter solstice with thoughts of summer. When on my trike my thoughts are consumed with my freedom and not being a burden on anyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment