Thursday, January 5, 2012

Post Holiday

What I love about the Christmas holidays, and this will sound corny, is the act of giving. I treasure the process of deciding and implementing gift-giving. Other reasons I love the holidays include:
Traffic is lighter,
Holiday spirit is in the air everywhere and people are friendlier,
Decorating our home,
Baking – bake things you don’t ordinarily cook like fruit cake- I made 6 this year – a record,
Wear sparkly clothes and accessories and have fun,
And, most importantly, time to celebrate with friends & family a great year that we're leaving behind and hope for a beautiful new year.
We spent Christmas Eve in Houston at Bob’s brothers’ house.  Bob’s sister-in-law traditionally cooks a 5-star restaurant quality dinner and her home is so lovely that it wouldn’t be Christmas without spending time with them. After Christmas I spent time with my parents and siblings.  I have 5 sisters and one brother and 14 nieces and nephews.  We are so many so we are rarely all together which makes  the time I get to spend with them is very special. Since I missed Thanksgiving with my parents this year I coaxed my mother into making her famous dressing for Christmas. The next day Bob picked me up and we drove to Galveston to conduct a dry run visit to Bob’s brother’s place.  Bob has a terrible allergy to cedar so last year we vowed to spend December and January in Galveston to avoid the discomfort of cedar allergy.  The dry run was designed to see if I could manage the terrain on the property.  I was successful – but barely.  Bob had to help me quite a bit but all this is just really good PT.  My mantra:  get out of your comfort zone when you have the opportunity.  Galveston certainly provides for this.  The terrain is dense grass, steps, dirt paths and, rocky roads. My holiday highlight:  being at my parent’s house after Christmas and a revolving door of family and friends coming over particularly my glamorous niece from LA and her mother, my brother and several others.
My holiday low light: The absence of my mother-in-law on Christmas Eve due to illness.
We had a very quiet but lovely New Year’s Eve:  beer at local pub, star gazing in hot tub, bed by 9:30.  I vowed to “step it up” with everything I do:  job search, exercise, PT, No more being a pansy!
Previously my blog posts have been proofed by my husband… Not anymore! It’s time I put my big girl panties on and show the world what brain injury really means, including imperfections and typos. 





!

No comments:

Post a Comment