Sunday, March 5, 2017

perpetuating a dream



Recently my sister-in-law and her husband perpetuated a dream of mine while challenging me physically by giving me a trip to Costa Rica last month. My dream is to one day speak Spanish fluently.  I started fulfilling this goal several years ago in Mexico while staying at a friend’s ranch for two weeks and taking daily lessons; where I learned the basics.   After this period I knew it was important to keep practicing so I attended meetups in Austin where we spoke Spanish over coffee and I had lessons via Skype three times a week.   In December 2016, I visited Guatemala for a total immersion experience. The Costa Rica trip was one month after Guatemala and I was anxious to see how and if I could apply my teachings.  It was the pinnacle because for the first time I was actually able to apply what I learned. Prior to the trip, most of my interactions were classroom based. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to apply it.  Here are reasons this trip was so special and influential:
My sister-law arranged for Spanish-speaking only guides
·        We were on a bird-watching trip as well and this allowed me to significantly increase my vocabulary
·        To get to some of the locations required getting into small planes and boats so I was constantly challenged physically.
·        I am maintaining Spanish with the lessons via Skype to continue my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment