Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Move Part two

I left behind in Austin a support structure that took six years to build, knowing once I was in Houston I would be starting over.  The support consisted of caregivers, drivers, doctors, an exercise routine, good friends (friends I’ve had for over 30 years), and neighbors. Basically I had a comfortable daily routine-- emphasis on comfortable.  I imploded the comfort level but can safely say that after almost a month my support structure is 75% rebuilt.  Let me explain.  I measured my move success on completion of six key activities including,:
1.       Completion of move into condo (boxes unpacked, able to find my stuff for cooking and dressing, etc.)
2.      Up and running Internet with a new email
3.      Resuming my Spanish lessons via SKYPE
4.      New caregivers hired to alieve Bob of driving responsibilities
5.      Able to shower again on my own
6.      Walk to nearby museums on my own
It took two weeks to get back on email, Internet and Spanish.
I have two caregivers, one woman and one man; both are college students in their 20’s. The caregivers both came from my Austin caregiver referrals.
Bob has installed a bench in the shower but it’s not 100% functional so I have not met this goal
Last Friday I attempted to walk to the Museum of Fine Arts, which is about a mile away.  It was clear due to the cracks in the sidewalk that walking by myself would be too difficult so I need to find another option. 
On a separate note, goal unrelated, I have engaged with old friends in Houston and whenever there is a family event, I’m here for it and I love that.  My mother-in-law is deeply engaged with the Arts in Houston and she invites me to tag along. I am now closer to my volunteer work with the East End Management District and this keeps me occupied in a way that feels like a job. 
I have not figured out how to exercise on my trike outside but we are working on this. 
I have not replaced my hairdresser aestitician, and my other high-maintenance needs.
I suppose if this is what we can accomplish in a month, I’m very optimistic about the future. 
Bottom line, I love being a Houstonian again. 
 I

No comments:

Post a Comment