Monday, November 21, 2011

Juxtaposition

What performance draws a 2000 person audience vs. a 5 person audience?
What performer has a 10 piece orchestra vs. a 50 piece orchestra?
Who is a 79 year old diva vs. a 29 year old diva?
What costs $58 per ticket vs. $22 per ticket?
What performance is 2 hours late and which starts on time?
Which diva has size 40 double D’s vs. size 36D’s?

In each case the higher number correlates to Aretha Franklin and her concert I attended last Tuesday. The lower number correlates to the  Don Giovanni opera live in HD at the Met a simulcast I attended last Wednesday. While sitting at the opera I couldn’t stop focusing on the juxtaposition between the 2 performances. They were equally entertaining while being so different musically. I attended both performances by myself and this gives me strength to do things outside my comfort zone.

Oh how I wish I could drive! I would go to so many more.

I ask myself why, in addition to loving all music, did I love these performances? Because it provided an escape. In a dark room, surrounded by music, all things stroke fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment