Thursday, August 18, 2011

to adapt or not to adapt

Last time I wrote about living in a one-armed world and adapting.  Sometimes I’m learning I simply cannot adapt and have to ask for help.  Such was the case week ago when I wanted to try a new recipe:  carrot soup with lemon and ginger courtesy of my sister-in-law, Karen Matocha. The recipe called for 4 lbs. of grated carrots.  To my knowledge a grater designed for a one-handed person does not yet exist so I solicited the help of my husband, Bob. He graciously agreed to help and we made this delicious soup together.
This is clearly a case where I think I’m happier that adaptation tools don’t exist because as with most things, Bob simply makes it more fun.   
Another activity I cannot handle by myself is swimming. Last year Bob built a railing so I can walk down to the pool from our patio but when it comes to getting in the pool, here are the steps:  I sit in a chair Bob lowers me from the chair to the edge of the pool.  One-by-one he lowers me onto each step at the third step I can take over and swim laps.  I generally swim laps for about 30 minutes or until “pruning” sets in, whichever comes first.   Getting out is trickier because Bob has to lift me from the edge back to the chair and it requires me to stand putting all my weight on my right foot while he lifts me to the chair.  I have not mastered this step and currently failing at it because the way I’m doing it puts too much weight on Bobs back and if I not careful I will put him in traction.  I wish I could adequately describe the sensation of swimming.  I feel it works on my balance, ability to stand up straight, and works both legs while kicking in a way that my stationary bike cannot.  Even though I don’t feel my left side, it is working it in a way I cannot do with any other exercise. I need to give my friend Edie a callout here.  If it wasn’t for her persistence every weekend last summer to get me in the pool, I would not be able to swim by myself.  Thank you Edie!






No comments:

Post a Comment