Saturday, July 9, 2011

“I didn’t leave my heart”


At the end of my 4 days in Calistoga, California, my friend, Sandra asked if I was glad came? 
There was some angst leading up to this trip so it was a good question.
Could I shower? Was the step into the shower too tall? What were the grounds like, e.g., could I walk from my sleeping quarters to the dining area and pool?  Sandra was very patient with my questions and in some cases didn’t really remember the layout of the house and I was asking micro details to the point of annoyance.  In the past I regretted not knowing the details and I simply wanted to be prepared since this was my first real pure pleasure trip without a sister or sister-in-law nearby.
My angst was so unnecessary.  The home in Calistoga was to me was the equivalent of a 6-star resort.  Sandra went to great lengths to ensure my comfort.  I slept in the main house so there was only a short walk to the dining area and pool and minimum steps.  The shower had no step.  The most difficulty I had was getting down the steps to the pool or making it to outdoor dining time. There were about 13 people at the house for the weekend and always someone willing to help me get down the steps or into the pool.  In fact, I made 8 new friends, which is a true joy at my age. We are already exchanging emails and face booking. They are all from the San Francisco o Bay area and occupations range from filmmaker to singer/songwriter to food server at a popular SF restaurant. The daily activities included a leisurely coffee/breakfast, pool time, lunch, snack, pool, dinner, bed.  It was about 90 degrees during the day and air conditioning and Calistoga are not necessarily abundant; hence all the time in the pool.
What I was fascinated by was how irrelevant my stroke was with the crowd.  Don’t know if Sandra told anyone in advance but I do know that no one asked me about what happened.
What I learned about myself is do I crave attention about the stroke from strangers?
I think it is so healthy that no one mentions it nor feels sorry for me.
In answer to Sandra’s question, I didn’t leave my Texas heart in San Francisco but I sure had a great time!

1 comment:

  1. Annie,

    I've just caught up on your posts, and so love reading them! I'm thrilled to learn that you did indeed go to Sandra and Herb's celebration in CA, and it sounds like you had a great time! I'm so sorry we were not able to be there. I'm wild about the brain scans you've placed as the background to your blog. It makes your stroke more real for me to imagine, to try to see or understand. I loved all that you wrote about your trip to the NIH and I know your sister, Marty, must have loved having you nearby for a visit.

    Your blog answers questions for me that I've been afraid to ask sometimes. It's raw and genuine and wonderful. And so very gracious. You are such a gorgeous woman. I admire your tenacity.

    Love to you and Bob,

    Tricia xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete